- “Baking Lessons: Needing, Rising and Letting Go.” The Rumpus, August 30, 2016. (personal essay) See: therumpus.net/…/baking-lessons-needing-rising-and-letting-go/
- “Flotsam & Jetsam.” Slab Literary Magazine, Issue 11, Spring 2016. (poetry) See: http://www.slablitmag.org/issue11_toc.html
- “A Brush with the Past.” GAMBAZine, Issue 4, June 2015 (creative nonfiction) See: issuu.com/gambazine/docs/gambazine_awake
- “New Shoes” (Third Place Winner in 2015 Fiction Contest). Folio Literary Journal, Volume 30, Issue 1, 2015. (fiction)
- “One Coffee to Go.” GAMBAZine, Issue 3, February 2015. (fiction) See: issuu.com/gambazine/docs/gamba_memory_3
- “Namaste.” Passing Through Journal, Issue 1, January 2015. (creative nonfiction)
- “A Distant Landscape.” Slab Literary Magazine, Issue 9, Spring 2014. (micro-fiction) See: academics.sru.edu/slablitmag/issue9_toc
- “Healing in Oaxaca.” Sol: Literary Writing in Mexico, October 2013. (fiction)
- “Mariachis of Garibaldi.” Construction Magazine, July 12, 2013. (poetry) See: constructionlitmag.com/…/mariachis-of-garibaldi/
- “Stew and Roses” (Honorable Mention) in Open to Interpretation: Fading Light, an anthology and juried book competition of photography, poetry & prose published by Taylor & O’Neill, 2013. (fiction)
- “These Skies” in Open to Interpretation: Fading Light, an anthology and juried book competition of photography, poetry & prose published by Taylor & O’Neill, July 2013. (poetry)
- “Following After Williams’ Nantucket” in Poetry Cram: The Ultimate Chicago Poetry Anthology, CJ Laity, Editor, June 2, 2012. (poetry)
- “Healing in Oaxaca” (earlier version). Roar: A Journal of Literary Arts by Women, Issue 2, Summer 2012. (fiction)
- “Raul Matta: Leading by Example.” Quaker Action, Volume 92 Number 2, Summer 2011. (nonfiction/essay)
- “Following After Williams’ Nantucket.” Poetry Cram 11=Poetry², ChicagoPoetry.com Press, April 2011. (poetry)
- “Giving Back: Robert Naka.” Quaker Action, Volume 92 Number 1, Spring 2011. (nonfiction/essay)
- “Crafting Violence into Art.” Peacework, Volume 34 Number 377, July 2007. (nonfiction/essay)
- “Mature Fruit.” North American Review, Volume 291 Numbers 3-4, May-August 2006. (poetry)
- “Hospitality.” NEWN, Volume 12 Number 1, Summer 2005. (Winner of 2005 Flash Fiction Contest). (fiction)
- “Cutting Like a Knife” (2005 Flash Fiction Contest Winner). NEWN, Volume 12 Number 1, Summer 2005. (fiction)
- “Tibet: The Untold Story of Chinese Genocide.” The Maine Progressive, March 1990. (nonfiction)
- “Reflections on a Brigade.” Framework, Peoples Center for Housing Change, Volume 3 Number 2, June 1988. (nonfiction)
- “Tibetan for Trekkers and Travelers” co-authored with Wangyal Norbu and Arlene Blum, Himalayan Trekking Course, U.C. Berkeley, 1985. (nonfiction)
TO ORDER A COPY OF THE ANTHOLOGY TITLED OPEN TO INTERPRETATION: FADING LIGHT, VISIT: open2interpretation.com/purchase
Open to Interpretation: Fading Light Hardcover, 96 pages, 10.5 x 11 inches, 32 color images with 64 interpretations. ISBN: 978-0-9848064-2-3. Price: $55.00. This book includes 2 works by Debka Colson: “Stew and Roses” (received Honorable Mention) and “These Skies.”
TO ORDER A COPY OF POETRY CRAM: THE ULTIMATE CHICAGO POETRY ANTHOLOGY, VISIT: createspace.com/3700807
This book includes a poem by Debka Colson titled “Following After Williams’ Nantucket.”
CJ Laity, Editor Publication Date: Jun 02 2012
ISBN/EAN13:1466400684 / 9781466400689
Page Count: 440
Color: Black and White
Related Categories: Poetry / Anthologies, List Price: $20
- 2017 Finalist for Howard Frank Mosher Short Fiction Prize from Hunger Mountain: the VCFA Journal of the Arts.
- Boston Cultural Council grant awarded from the Opportunity Fund to design and teach a series of summer 2017 poetry and prose creative writing workshops for the Jamaica Plain Branch of the Boston Public Library.
- 2016 Semi-Finalist for 1913 Press Prize for First Books for the manuscript Gaining Ground, A Memoir in Essays, Vignettes, Photos and Verse.
- 3rd Place Award for 2015 Folio Literary Magazine Fiction Contest on “Conflict.”
- Residency and grant awarded at the Vermont Studio Center, April 2015.
- Fiction Finalist for the Fifth Annual (2014) Normal Prize. (See: thenormalschool.com/…/the-fifth-annual-normal-prize-winners)
- Short List for the 2014 anthology Out of Many: Multiplicity & Divisions in America Today.
- Merit Scholarship awarded for the 2014 Writers in Paradise writers’ conference at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- 2013 Ivan Gold Fellow at the Writers’ Room of Boston.
- Finalist for the 2013 Nancy D. Hargrove Editor’s Prize for Fiction from Jabberwock Review.
- Short List for Finalists for a Novel-in-Progress in the 2013 Faulkner-Wisdom Creative Writing Competition.
- Honorable Mention for short fiction in Open to Interpretation: Fading Light, an anthology and juried book competition of photography, poetry & prose, 2013.
- Short List for 2013 Arcadia Short Story Contest.
- New England Writers’ Network (NEWN) 2005 Flash Fiction Contest Winner.